Although my next design step was going to be a brainstorming task I ended up not doing this at all as I had the idea for my posters one night and immediately fell in love with it. My idea was to include as minimal images as possible and have large brightly coloured type covering most of the ‘page.’ Not only did I think this would work well with my new contemporary looking logo but I think it will work well with my proposition as it isn’t anything like the normal coffee advertising out there.
Because of my one major idea I decided to jump straight on the computer and play around with the typography. I immediately got the kind of feel I wanted but was lost when it came down to what the background image had to be as I knew it couldn’t be blank. I tried various textures and that didn’t look right at all so I took inspiration from my previous cocktail idea and decided to make coffees have a ‘twist’ with a cocktail umbrella. I photoshopped one in and regardless of the fact I think this is the worst photoshopping I have ever done, I did not think it worked at all.
However, I then decided to look at a much more detailed image of actual cups of coffee and found one that once photoshopped looked quite realistic and quite strong. Once I put it all together I was quite impressed with how it looked and immediately knew this was the idea I wanted to go ahead with.
However, it was at this point that I looked back at my logo and although I loved how simplistic it was, I felt like it was holding me back from making my poster exciting because I was constrained to simple type. This is when I went back into illustrator and went a little bit crazy with shapes and colour and created the logo below which I now love even more than the simple blue one. I think it works really well with my proposition still and actually fits a lot more of the idea that I initially had as it is really bright and stand out-ish.
Once I had my logo which I was really happy with moving my poster forward became a really easy task as I had a lot of the basic ideas already implemented. I started by completely mimicking my logo design in the other typography on the design and I really liked it, although it took a lot of maneuvering to get it all to fit right. This is one thing I think computers are instantly much better at as I feel like ideas on paper can be completely deflated when getting to the digital stage as the proportions are often completely off, at least in my case.
Not only did I play around with the type but I also looked at the image again and played around with black and white and how that effects the focal point of the poster and how cropping can also effect the image. To me the combination of those two things helped me completely change the previously boring image and not only make it look more realistic but help it look a lot more exciting.
I then had the unfortunate task of tweaking my design and came up with four different versions that has such tiny changes they felt completely different however everyone I asked had a different favourite. This didn’t help me at all and led me to go with my favourite which was the main one above as although I was leaning towards the type with no stroke I felt like it wouldn’t go with the logo in other versions of the poster.
At this point in my design process we had another group crit. My complete presentation can be viewed here. Although everyone liked my design, they initially didn’t get the subtlety that I was trying to convey and wanted me to go a lot more extravagant but this is not the direction I want to follow at all so it was suggested that I go even more subtle with the ‘cocktail’ elements within the imagery. It was also said that type was not 100% working and although I don’t completely agree with this, the idea of having the word ‘twist’ in its own typeface really intrigued me and this will definitely be my next step in the design process. I also want to look into more ways I can incorporate cocktails into my design and see how subtle I can be and hopefully create a series of posters.