Once we had the name finalised as ‘Fragments’ we needed to design a logo. This way everyone who had to design their own elements such as the digital team could then get underway and begin posting things. We also knew it would help us cement the brand as a whole.
The logo process started with us all working individually with John and I working on it the most as we were given the art/creative director roles early on in the process. Firstly I digitalised an idea that we had discussed as a group last time we met up. This was to have the word as a whole but slightly fragmented. To me this sounded too obvious and sometimes I find things like that look quite amateur and unprofessional. When I digitalised it it didn’t look as bad as I expected however we all agreed that it wasn’t right for a slick fashion brand.
After this we all went through a brainstorm phase. My internship at the guildford street press has given me a lot of good skills for this and really helped me to get out as many ideas on paper as possible rather than just sticking to my first one which is what I’ve had a bad habit of doing. I first went back to my initial idea using the mannequin. I did really like this still but it just didn’t fit with the outlook that we were going for. I also played with just type and geometric ‘fragmented’ shapes. A lot of people really liked the large square idea but finding the type was quite an issue.
After a while I felt like I was going round in circles slightly as I had been working on the logos non stop for a day and was getting lots of different opinions. At this point I began working with John and we collectively came up with a very slick logo that I think looked quite professional. We also found a typeface called ‘Code Bold’ which worked incredibly well for the vibe we were going for and as we all quite liked the way futura looked and as it’s quite similar people loved it even more.
This was our final logo for a little while as a few of us made an executive decision but not many people thought it fitted with fragments or felt like it worked for it’s multiple uses, mainly the social media channels. I do agree with this to a certain extent as I did feel like it looked a bit odd in the instagram circle however it would have been hard no matter what to produce a logo that fit all the various social media icons. That being said after a few revisions for the instagram circle we all felt like if we had too many variations and changes between each use of the logo it would get confusing and complex for the audience.
Because of this we revised the logo and as I had already been incredibly involved in the whole process I decided to take a slight step back at this stage and only assist in critiques and feedback. I believe the idea stemmed from my originally square idea and the concept of using the shapes as a kind of background to the word/letter.
A few of us didn’t really like the F being distorted to the extent that it was and using the big F as the start of the word ‘fragments’. Because of this feedback the logo was stripped right back and was simply just the F with the shaped behind it. After a few small tweaks such as spacing and the placement of the shapes at the back we decided that was to be our final logo and although I don’t think it’s the strongest it could possibly be I think it works well in application and fits the brand well. I do like it quite a lot and am glad that for a design like this the F was just used as it means it can be quite visible at every size. The logo was beginning to hold us back slightly as we all began to want to design the actual promotional pieces and we were also loosing a lot of time. I am looking forward to cracking on with the layout of the zine as this is my main focus from this point on and I am really looking forward to collaborating with John on the posters.