While I was working on the zine layout John was working on the poster, however we were still planning on developing designs together. We had previously brainstormed and wanted a series of posters that worked much like the famous MoMa poster series that worked individually but as a whole they make up a much bigger picture, we also thought this worked really well with the ‘fragments’ brand identity we were going with.
Because of this John sent me over a series of posters in this kind of style with our ‘Fragments’ branding and I immediatley knew we were onto a winner.
Although I loved the initial concept I wasn’t a massive fan of the colours or the pictures actually being in the letters, I thought this made the individual posters a lot less striking than they could have been. Because of this I suggested perhaps a black and white colour scheme with solid white letters as well as the outlines. This was definitely a step in the right direction, the black and white really did help although the images being black and white probably wouldn’t be approved by Michael. Making the background black did result in having to make slight changes to the logo to make it fully visible but I don’t think this made it any less effective.
This is when John sent the posters across to me and I actually recreated them in InDesign. I personally prefer using indesign for posters now as I have become incredibly confident on the program this year and understand how much more useful it is for creating print media such as books as posters.
My first idea was to simply remove the images from the letter shapes and have them as part of the background. I feel like this made a massive difference and broke up the background as well as made the letters much more striking. Everyone else agreed and thought that this was definitely another step in the right direction. The only slight critisism was that in the original design there was a slight sense of mystery and in these advancements you could see all the image. It was discussed that we could use the letter image posters and these as a two stage release however I don’t think we have the budget for this and I don’t think we will get approval to crop the images this much. I was already incredibly proud of this design. I think it works so well however, Dave suggested cutting the images across the diagonal that was on each poster. I was initially quite skeptical about what this would look like but after I had made the change I think it made them so much more effective. I also took this opportunity to fix some continuity errors with the letter colours.
I am a huge fan of these final posters and think they work incredibly well together and separately. I am really proud that I helped to create them and will definitely be putting them into future portfolios.